• IATSE Wardrobe Local 887

    5030 1st Avenue South #204

    Seattle WA 98134

    January 17, 2022
    Member Login


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    Upcoming Events
    Membership Meeting
    Jan 24, 2022
    Registration link in email.
    Membership Meeting
    Feb 28, 2022
    Registration link in email.
    Membership Meeting
    Mar 28, 2022
    Registration link in email.
    Unemployment Insurance
    • Local 15 hosts a weekly newletter and conversation regarding UI benefits. Its really helpful.  Sign up here.
    • Facing a challenge to your benefits? Our friends at the Unemployment Law Project are the resource your need. 
    • Click here to sign up for alerts from the Employment Security Department. 

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Frequently Asked Questions  updated October 2019

    What work does IATSE Theatrical Wardrobe Union Local 887 represent?

    Local 887 represents workers (This means that workers have voted to give Local 887 the right to bargain for their wages and working conditions.) in costume shops and backstage wardrobe crews in Seattle, Bellingham, Issaquah, and Tacoma. These include:

    ACT, 5th Ave Theatre, Intiman, Mt. Baker Theatre, Seattle Children’s Theatre, Seattle Opera, Seattle Repertory Theatre, Pantages Theater, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Paramount Theatre, Moore Theatre, Village Theatre, Teatro ZinZanni, as well as work performed at McCaw Hall, Benaroya Hall, Meany Hall and Key Arena when requested.

    What is IATSE?

    IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) is the international union that Local 887 is affiliated with. They represent workers in the theatre, film and TV industries, among others. In our area, in addition to Local 887, Local 15 represents stagehands, and Local 488 represents film work as well as theatrical hair and makeup.

    Do I need to be a member of the Union to work at venues represented by Local 887?

    No, but we do require that everyone register with us by filling out a Roster Information form and signing a Worker Agreement before starting work. Once on our Hiring Hall Roster members and non-members are treated the same in hiring.  Contact our office (office@iatse887.org) to get a to the forms. Return them to our office along with your resume.

    Members of IA Locals within I.A.T.S.E. District No. One (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska) have the option of working through other D1 locals without becoming a member once you provide proof that you are current with your home local. Ask for more details. 

    When do I need to become a member?

    Union contracts with most employers include what is known as a Union Security Clause. Any employee who works for an employer for the number of hours listed in the Contract's Union Security Clause will be asked to apply for membership to continue working. The hour threshold varies from venue to venue. It is usually around 750 hours. (A person may apply for membership at earlier.) The membership filing fee and application fee cost $385. A member has the right to participate in Union governance.

    How do I get costume shop work?

    Local 887 represents workers in costume shops at Seattle Opera, Seattle Repertory Theatre, Seattle Children’s Theatre, ACT, 5th Avenue, Teatro ZinZanni and Village Theatre. Most of these employees are hired through the usual process of resumes and interviews. Please contact them directly to express your interest in employment. Workers who have previously worked under an 887 Union contract are given a preference in hiring, but opportunities often arise for new workers.  Venues often post openings on our website. The contact information for shop managers is also on our website, iatse887.org.

    How do I get Wardrobe (dressing) work? What is dispatched work?

    Employers hire some of this work directly through the usual process of resumes and interviews and post openings on our website. Please contact them directly to express your interest in employment. Dispatched work: Larger venues come to the Union when they need workers for dressing crews in addition to their staff. The Union will dispatch workers from our Hiring Hall list following the Union’s Hiring Hall Dispatch Rules. The Hiring Hall Dispatch Rules are posted on our website iatse887.org. There is also a copy at every venue, and they can be mailed to you from our office. A worker moves to the bottom of our Hiring Hall Dispatch list on the date that they first work at a represented venue.

    Who is the Dispatcher?

    The Dispatcher is the person who contacts the workers on the Hiring Hall list to offer work.

    What is the Hiring Hall Fee?

    A Hiring Hall Fee of $10/quarter is required for those who are at the top sections of the Dispatch List (numbers 1-90) who wish to be called for dispatched work. (All members, regardless of their place on the Dispatch List, pay this fee as part of their membership dues.) The fee helps to cover the salary of the Dispatcher.

    How much will I be paid? Do I get benefits?

    Each venue has its own pay scale. A copy of the pay rates is available upon request from our office. Venues generally pay every two weeks. In addition to wages, each employer (except the Mt. Baker) contributes an agreed upon percentage to health insurance and retirement plans on your behalf.

    How do I qualify for Health Insurance?

    In addition to your hourly wage Employer’s contribute a negotiated amount, generally around 11%, to the IATSE National Health and Welfare Fund in your name. Your account is referred to as a CAPP (contributions available for premium payments) account. You may find out the balance in your account by monitoring your account online at iatsenbf.org

    Your right to enroll in the health insurance plan offered by IATSE National Benefit funds will begin when your CAPP account reaches the cost of one month of the plan plus a yearly $150 administrative fee. There is no time limit to accumulate this amount. When you reach this amount the National Benefit Funds will send you an information packet. You may choose to enroll by self paying the amount needed to make up one quarter of the cost of the plan.

    If you do not enroll at the time that you first meet the minimum eligibility requirement of one month’s premium, you must wait until your CAPP account balance reaches the cost of one quarter of the plan (as of January 2019 this is about $1500 for the lowest plan), plus the $150 administrative fee. You will be sent enrollment information. You will be offered a choice to either buy insurance from IATSE or if you have proof that you have health insurance coverage from another approved source, use the account as a Medical Reimbursement Program for premiums and co-pays. You may not waive coverage at this time. If you do not make a coverage selection, you will automatically be enrolled in the IATSE health insurance program through Empire Blue Shield and the premium deducted from your account. Read the material sent to you. The National Benefit Funds have an excellent website with the most current information, iatsenbf.org. Local 887 only participates in the Health Plan portion of the funds.

    Who do the IATSE National Benefit Funds contract with to provide coverage?

    Dental, vision, and general health coverage are serviced by different providers. You will be sent coverage information.

    Where do the retirement contributions go? Can I contribute more? How do I manage my 401(k) account?

    Local 887 participates in the Western Employee Benefit Trust (WEB Trust). Participating employer’s send your retirement contribution (this is in addition to your wage) to WEB Trust in your name. The plan also allows for employees to make additional voluntary pre-tax wage deferrals. This means that you can elect to have employers deduct a percentage of your wages to be sent to the 401(k) account in addition to the employer contribution. You will need to fill out the appropriate paperwork to set this up. They can be reached at 206-282-3205 or 800-524-4852. Manage your account on line at https://bac.retirement.schwabrt.com

    You will receive a quarterly statement in the mail from WEB Trust regarding contributions to your account and gains or losses in earnings. You may manage your account and allocate your funds into one or more of several portfolio options. (Manage your account on line at https://bac.retirement.schwabrt.com) For those who do not fill out a form to direct their contributions, their investments will be automatically placed in the First American Money Market Fund.

    More Questions?  Contact Local 887 Business Representative Delia Mulholland : bus.rep@iatse887.org


    Page Last Updated: Oct 28, 2019 (14:18:34)
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local 887

    Copyright © 2022.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive

  • Top of Page image